Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Green Beans Salad

A long gap again since my last post. For the past few days, I have been busy with my first event on blogspace, Healthy Morsels - Pregnancy. Praises be to the God, it is going well and I'm thrilled and excited about it. Apart from that, work has been very busy, paired with travel and I hardly get any "me" time. Just wish to take a long long leave and relax. Well, it is time again for Blog Hop, an event by Radhika of Tickling Palates, something I have been ceremoniously doing and enjoying as well.


This time, I got to visit Sweatha's blog - Tasty Curry Leaf. You know what, the very first post that popped up as I opened her space attracted me and I made my mind - this is it what I'm going to try. Nevertheless, I browsed her space good and I found lot of interesting and different dishes. She has posted a variety of food from international cuisine and I'm sure everybody would get something to their liking there.

Coming to the salad, this is a very simple, easy to prepare warm salad. For the original recipe, please look here. I pepped it up a little, so providing the recipe here.

Preparing Time: 15 mins
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

Tender Green Beans - 200 g
Cherry Tomatoes - a handful
Fresh Basil leaves - 2 stalks
Garlic - 2 pods
Butter - 1 Tbsp
Walnuts - 4 to 5
Pepper - to taste
Salt - to taste

Method:

Cut the beans to bite sized pieces. Blanch them in hot boiling water until just cooked and tender. This might take about 7 to 10 mins. Take care not to overcook them.

In the meanwhile, heat the butter in a heavy bottomed pan. Slice the garlic pods to thin slices. Wash and tear the fresh basil leaves. Add the garlic and basil leaves to the pan and sauté a little.

Wash and halve the cherry tomatoes. When the basil leaves wilt, add the tomatoes and walnuts to the pan and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add required salt now.

Drain the beans, add to the pan and give a stir. Done !! Garnish with freshly ground pepper and serve warm.

Verdict:

I prepared this lovely salad for an evening dinner and we both really loved it. It was light, healthy and tasted fantastic with the light note of butter, basil and garlic. It can be pepped up with different types of nuts or cheese. I'm sure this would make a good show as a warm salad in party buffets. Thank you Sweatha for this comforting salad recipe.


Health Tips:

Green beans are a rich source of dietary fibre, helps reduce cholesterol and a good source of vitamins and minerals. Fresh beans are rich in folates, which is very essential for the cell division phase and hence a must in the preconception and early pregnancy periods. For more info, refer here.

Carrying women can prepare such simple salads, which does not take much effort and at the same time helps in the healthy development of the foetus. Care should be taken not to overcook such vegetables so as to maintain their nutritional values.

Sending this healthy salad as an entry to Tickling Palate's Blog Hop Wednesday Week 15, Taste of Pearl City's Anyone can Cook Series 43 and to our own event: Healthy Morsels - Pregnancy.


24 comments :

  1. Salad looks so vibrant and inviting. Excellent clicks.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for your posts,so good to see you after a very long time. Thank you for linking this healthy and yummy salad with Healthy Morsels and Any One Can Cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the idea of walnut with beans :) and great going on the event

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you that the event is going on well. A very good concept that could never go amiss. And now to the salad I'm bookmarking this as I have taken a oath that i shall try at least 2 salads a month. Thanks for digging this out and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. simple n elegant;tummy-filling as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. cutting long beans is looking super

    ReplyDelete
  7. So healthy & delicious salad, looks and sounds so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am always on the look out for great green bean recipes. This one sounds good and 15 mins, thats the selling point :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing clicks and equally beautiful recipe!
    This is so nutrient-rich and balanced in form...loved it to the core.

    Round Up 1 : Cakes, Cookies and Desserts

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! simply superb salad.salad colour is inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've combined the fresh and nutrient rich beans,nuts and tomatoes into an awesome dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hoping you would get more "me" time. though when you become a parent you sort of forego it out of habit...but it's still imp. I'm not a salad person at all and this one looks and reads really good. Pairing of some simple delightful tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for trying this salads. Its one of my favourites too. Love your excellent clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lovely vegetable salad. A beautiful photograph too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Healthy and beautiful... Looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. simple , easy and healthy salad very perfect for Healthy morsel pregnancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. very eager 2 try this.looks just yumm.my hub will enjoy this surely....
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  18. @All, thank you everyone for your lovely comments and encouragements. :)

    @Radhika: Sure try out and wishes to your new oath. Salads are so good and the advantage is that mostly it wouldn't take much time to prepare, yet would be filling. :)

    @the Junkie book: I can't agree with you more. "Me" time every now and then makes the body and mind pampered, which would make one more effective.

    @Maha: Wishes for your try :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. im so happy that you loved the chettinad chicken roast...its our family fave too...and btw, this salad is too good with cherry tomatoes..i love these cute tomatoes, mostly when baked

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice green beans salad. i missed this during my pregnancy, now i am a mom of 10 months old son.

    Hema's Adugemane

    ReplyDelete
  21. During blog hopping I landed up here, and sure I'll be back to see more from you.
    This salad is very new and very appealing to me.
    Take care.
    Following you... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice one Aysha.looks very appetizing :) seems to be a easy one too....
    BTW, like the new look of your site...

    ReplyDelete